COVID-19 Update: Trails are open, please practice physical distancing. Washrooms/privies are closed until further notice.
Lyn Valley Conservation Area is the CRCA’s smallest and one of our busiest Conservation Areas. At just 11 hectares in size, it has a great swimming area and one short hiking trail. It was used as a gravel pit for many years and has been successfully changed into a community recreation area.
The spring-fed small lake provides an excellent swimming spot. There is a sandy beach to relax on as well.
Picnic tables are available for use for family picnics.
Change rooms provide a convenient place to change for a day of swimming.
The site has had a long history of providing sand and gravel for road construction. In the 1880s, gravel was removed to build the Canadian National Brockville – Westport Railroad.
Gravel from Lyn Pit later supplied fill for the improvement of Highway #2. In 1959, Elizabethtown Township acquired the pit from Canadian National Railways in a straight land exchange. When the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway (the 401) was built in the early 1960s, Lyn Pit again provided road building material.
The Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority purchased the Lyn Valley sand and gravel pit from Elizabethtown Township in 1973 for the sum of $1.00. Subsequent to this acquisition, numerous site improvements as well as the implementation of a supervised recreational program have occurred.