March means maple syrup at Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area. Take a tractor-drawn wagon back to our sugar bush to see how maple syrup was made in the olden days and how we make it now. Enjoy pancakes with real maple syrup and buy some maple syrup or sugar to take home. The sugar bush is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day of the program.
Wagons leave the Outdoor Centre for the sugar bush approximately every 20 minutes. Passengers are dropped off at the wagon turn-around at the top of the hill on the service road. From there it’s a short walk down the hill to the sugar bush facilities.
You can also walk back to the sugar bush via the trail network or along the service road. If you are walking along the service road, you will need to watch out for the tractor-drawn wagons and staff vehicles. It is about 2 km from the Outdoor Centre to the sugar bush.
All activities except the puppet shows and bake sale take place outdoors. Be sure to come dressed for the weather. It can be cold on the wagon ride and in the sugar bush. Boots are also recommended as it can be snowy or muddy.
Maple Madness 2017 runs from March 11 to 19 (March Break), and on the weekends of March 25 and 26 and April 1 and 2 at Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area. Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area is located at 1641 Perth Road (Division Street) in Kingston, just 2 km north of the Highway 401 interchange.
Cost: $6.00 for adults and children over 12, $3.50 for children 12 and under with a maximum fee of $16 per car.
Sugar bush is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Puppet Shows
- Saturday March 11 – 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., noon and 1:00 p.m.
- Monday March 13 to Friday 17 – daily at 10:00 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Saturday March 18 – 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., noon and 1:00 p.m.
- Saturday March 15 – 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., noon and 1:00 p.m.
- Saturday April 1 – 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., noon and 1:00 p.m.
- First Nations Display
- Saturday March 11, 18, 25 and April 1 – 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Tree Tapping Demonstrations (self-guided)
- Sunday March 12, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Monday March 13 to Friday March 17, daily from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Sunday March 19, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Sunday March 26, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Sunday April 2, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Foundation Bake Sale – Saturday March 18 at the Outdoor Centre
- Olde Thyme Sugar Bush Chores – Saturday April 1
- Maple Taffy Demonstration – Saturday April 1 in the sugar bush, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Volunteer at Maple Madness: We have a number of volunteer positions at Maple Madness for those looking to volunteer in the community or for students looking to get in their volunteer hours. See the volunteer form on our online services page.
Pancake & Food Prices – 2016 (2017 prices coming soon)
Pancakes are only available in the sugar bush.
Maple products are available at the Little Cataraqui Creek Outdoor Centre and in the sugar bush.
- Pancakes $2.00
- Juice $2.00
- Pop and Water $1.75
- Coffee, Tea and Hot Chocolate $175
Maple Products Prices – 2016 (2017 prices coming soon)
Maple Syrup Prices
All of the maple syrup and maple sugar products that we sell are from Paul’s Maple Products in Lanark, Ontario.
- 4 litre syrup $81.00
- 1 litre syrup $26.25
- 500 ml syrup $15.00
- 250 ml syrup $8.75
- 100 ml syrup $5.75
- 50 ml syrup $4.00
- 50 ml syrup in maple leaf bottle $5.75
Maple Sugar Prices
- Candy – three leaf bagged $2.75
- Candy – Tri pack or five leaf tray $6.50
- Candy Pack (125 g) or 10 pack $9.25
- Single candy $1.00
- Maple Butter (150 g) $7.00
- Maple Butter (250 g) $11.50
- Maple Dip $3.00
- Cookbook $12.00
- Colouring Book $2.50
- Lollipops $2.75
Pancake Mix Ingredients
Our pancake mix is purchased from Tara Foods in Kingston. The pancake mix contains the following ingredients:
- wheat flour
- corn flour
- rice flour
- mono calcium phosphate
- milk powder
- baking powder
- sea salt
- artificial vanilla.
Allergens: Contains milk and gluten
Our pancakes are cooked using vegetable oil.